How Did We Survive?
Observations of a Middle-Age Dragon with a Tattoo:
How did we survive?
CONGRATULATIONS to people born in the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 1990s.
You SURVIVED!! Actually you THRIVED … Even when
- Drank while they carried us
- Took Aspirin
- Ate Blue Cheese, Salami, Tuna, Salmon and salads older than 24 hours.
AFTER BEING BORN:
- We were vaccinated (and never suffered from measles, mumps, and polio and never suffered from any terrible conspiracy except being HEALTHY).
- Were given Brandy to help get rid of any wind.
- Ate and played in dirt (we had less allergies).
- Played with hand-me-down toys, slept in cots that didn’t have any Government safety standard seal of approval.
AS CHILDREN WE:
- Played in kitchens with no child proof locks on cabinet doors, drawers, and medicine bottles.
- Rode bikes with NO HELMETs.
- Drank Water straight from TAPs and HOSES.
- Shared water bottles.
- SHARED one soft drink with four other friends.
- We ate meat that had been cooked after being defrosted all day at room temperature from a fully frozen state.
- Washed dishes up in a sink with a dish cloth that wasn’t infused with anti-bacterials (Oh the horror) and simple dishwashing detergent.
- AND NO ONE DIED from any of this!
- ATE cakes made with real sugar and real butter, AND they were home made on kitchen tops not sanitised to an inch of their lives and they didn’t have to look like something out of a Hollywood set. But they tasted so good.
- We weren’t VEGANs or had parents on the Keto diet.
- Despite all of this WE WEREN’T OVERWEIGHT or suffered from severe ALLERGIES.
- BECAUSE we were always outside getting dirty and playing, morning to dusk or until the street lights came on (if we lived in a place with street lights).
- If we had the chance we were outside running, and playing games like; COPs and ROBBERs, COWBOYs and INDIANs. With toy guns…. And we didn’t grow into bigoted, gun toting maniacs.
- We climbed trees, swung in trees from a tyre and rope, rolled down grassy hills (again not being allergic), ran, stubbed our toes, rode bikes at break neck speed with no helmets, played in mud, and puddles.
- In short we GOT DIRTY.
- We built things out of discarded boxes etc, we found around home, go-carts, boats, came to life. WE USED IMAGINATION and it didn’t come out of a box and wasn’t always brand new.
- We; God forbid; invented games with sticks and balls and although we knew about it, no one EVER lost an eye!
- We broke bones, got scratches, gravel rashes and had bodies that could function without straining something doing something normal kids should be able to do like climb across a jungle gym without falling.
- We had co-ordination and no rubber mats under our play equipment.
- If we did get hurt, we didn’t blame anyone else. There were no lawsuits where people sued someone else. HOW DID WE SURVIVE!
- Because we played, we fell-down, ran into trees and bushes, we got hurt. Our parents told us it served us right for acting like an idiot. WE WERE ALLOWED to make mistakes.
- WE learnt THAT DOING STUPID THINGS HAD CONSEQUENCES. It limited the number of dumb and dumber things we did when we got older.
- If we said we were bored…. Well we didn’t get bored because we could always find something to entertain us. WE COULD ENTERTAIN OURSELVES.
- We even read real books, that we could take anywhere, and they didn’t need WiFi or batteries for a screen!
- If by some chance we were still bored we were conscripted into helping Mum clean the house, especially the toilets. A reason why we weren’t ever bored.
- We did odd jobs to make money:
- Our parents didn’t have to be in contact with us 24/7 but somehow, they knew where we were.
- We had TVs but only 2 or maybe 4 channels.. How DID WE SURVIVE. TVs weren’t something we got lured to sitting in front of all day because we had better ways to entertain ourselves.
- We didn’t need to take photos of everything we were involved with like our food, and we certainly didn’t take photos of ourselves ever minute of the day.
- We didn’t have social media, internet, chat rooms, texts, FaceTime, Skype, Instagram, Facebook and snapchat. If you wanted to talk to someone or meet someone you went outside and found them.
What can you remember you “survived” was it really fun? Dare you to…
Day long cricket tests in the backyard with lots of friends. Mum provided for and drinks for everyone but didn't get involved in any disputesRMR